A fresh coat of paint is one of the most affordable and quickest ways to update any space. Unfortunately, it is also one of the most commonly botched home improvement jobs. Professional painters in Charleston, SC give you a flawless finish by avoiding the following mistakes.
1) Forgetting to Prep or Not Prepping Enough- When looking for a local painting company in Charleston, SC find one that commits to doing prep work. If you’re trying to do it yourself, don’t miss a single step.
- Even the Surface of the Walls- Fill in holes and cracks and sand down any lumps. It really shows in the results when you forget to create a smooth surface.
- Clean and Wipe Down Walls- Use a soft cloth or even a gentle cleanser to carefully clean your walls. Those particles of dust, little handprints, and smudges will affect the rest of your paint job.
- Create a Border- You’ll never see professional painters in Charleston, SC skipping the painter’s tape. Before you dip your first brush, tape neatly along edges, door frames, baseboards, and fixtures.
- Protect Floors and Furniture- It only takes a few minutes to lay out tarp or painter’s cloth. Spilled paint on your furniture or floors is a mess you might never get out.
2) Cutting Corners with Cheap Supplies- You do not want to skimp on equipment or materials, you’ll end up paying twice to do the same job. Make sure you use:
- Painter’s tape or masking tape. It won’t stick to walls or frames and chip paint.
- Rollers with thick foam for a even coating.
- Natural hair brushes for oil based paint.
- Synthetic brushes for latex paint.
There’s no sense in doing a job twice. Use the right tools and the right painters in Charleston, SC and you won’t have to go back and wasting your time doing a painting job again when it should have been done correctly the first time.
3) Thinking Primer Isn’t a Necessity- You cannot skip the primer. It is absolutely vital to the success of painting any room. Professional painters know that primer provides the following benefits.
- An even surface for your paint.
- Creates a surface that will hold new paint.
- A sleek, professional look.
- Improved color and longevity
4) Painting a Wet Wall- You have to wait for a dry surface before you paint. If you are too impatient, your walls will have:
- Peeling Paint
- Gloppy or Uneven Paint.
5)Putting Too Much Paint on the Brush- It only takes a small amount of paint to properly cover your walls. Yet, most people like to put the whole brush in the paint can. Putting too much paint on your brush creates a lot of problems, including:
- Wasting paint.
- Spending more money on paint.
- Bigger messes and more time cleaning them up.
- Sloppy, uneven results.
By dipping your brush in about a third of the way up the bristles, you’ll save money and get better results.
When looking for a local painting company in Charleston, SC, ask for professionals with experience. The team at Herrick Property Services has the experience and skill you need to get the most out of your home paint projects. Call us today at 843-481-2727. We’re ready to transform your home one room at a time.